With Dr Veronica Jacobsen
Cost: This course is provided by the Government Economics Network (GEN) at a cost of $750 plus GST per person. Our course costs have risen recently due to changes in administration, catering and venue charges.
Date/Time: Course postponed til later in 2023
Location: St. Andrew’s on The Terrace
Target Audience and assumed background
This course will be most helpful to policy advisors with little or no experience in using economic frameworks for policy analysis. The course is also useful for policy advisors with economics training who have not done courses such as Public Economics that are used for policy analysis.
The course will help participants understand:
- the nature of markets by providing a primer/refresher on basic economic concepts that underpin the economic way of thinking and by discussing supply and demand, consumer, firm and industry behaviour (microeconomics);
- the economic role of government by providing a framework for understanding the limits to markets and the nature of market failure, the rationale and form of intervention including regulation, service provision, and redistribution, and the limits of government action; and
- the economic way of thinking by providing particular economic problems as illustrations and by conveying the nature of the tool-kit that economics profession brings to the analysis of policy issues.
On completion of this course participants will:
- have an understanding of key economic terms and concepts;
- be able to relate economic thinking to current policy issues;
- understand how market forces operate and how government policies influence, and are influenced by, market forces;
- understand why markets can sometimes fail to deliver the best outcomes for society;
- identify instances of market failure and apply economic principles to designing policies in to prevent or reduce the costs of market failure; and
- appreciate how economics can be used in many areas in the public sector
Session outline and delivery
- How the Market Works
- How the Market Fails
- How Government Fails
- Economics of Policy Issues
By submitting this Registration Form, you are confirming your availability to attend the GEN Training Course.
- Cancellation will not be accepted. The booking will be charged and invoiced with the full fee.
- If a registrant is unable to attend the course, the registration may be transferred to another suitable person to attend 2 days before start. All transfer requests must include the new attendee’s name, email address and telephone number and received in a written format and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No refunds will be given by GEN for no-shows.
DECLARATION: I hereby certify that I am duly authorised to complete this registration form and have read and understand the terms and conditions as stipulated above.